Friday, August 19, 2011

Week One

Okay, so I have now been over here in Germany for ONE whole week. Sorry, I stopped updated daily because I did not really have a lot to say. Most of this week I just stayed home while Jeremy was at work. I did Wednesday walk over to the PX, ACS, and library which I realize are a mile away. So go me.. I walked 2 miles that day. So, I really have not done much to write about or even take pictures of. I will say I miss Fort Stewart and their PX and Commissary. I used to complain about them but here it is smaller then those I think if I walked into Fort Stewart's PX now It would feel so big. Here you dont have much pick for things, they call it the "Schweinfurt Pick" cause they might just carry one of 2 favorites of something. Like my Poweraide that I love they only carry 4 different favors. So I can't be so picky anymore.


Anyways, today Jeremy was off and so was his SGT and his wife took us around town and showed us some stores that will help us get comfortable in our home and really make it a home. They took us to this first store and to me it was just like an IKEA, 3 stories going around with the show rooms and all that. So we found some things there. And then we went across the parking lot to XXXL (yes that is the name of the store, dont ask me if they really try to say it like that) and again it was a totally home furnishing store but this one was higher but man it had some nice stuff. The we went to another store but this was more like an food store. It was cool though to look at the food and try to figure out what it is.

Then tonight we decide to go out and actually try a restaurant since we have yet tried one. I been too chicken to try one. But, tonight I like Jeremy talked me into it but we agree I would try an Italian place... I mean you can't go wrong with pasta. That should be pretty easy to order from. Then we went next door to an Ice Cream shop and had dessert before we made the mile walk back to the house. I walk about 2 miles every day.

Well, here are my facts that I learned today:

* You have to deposit money into this machine on the cart at stores to be able to get a cart when walking around the store... when you return the cart it gives you your EUR back.
* Euros are not written like our money... They don't use decimal like if something is $9.99 in the store it is written has 9,99 Which for the longest confused me cause if I see a cloma I think thousands
*Again they don't bag your stuff they just scan it and push it to a side of the registrar for you to bag.
*Water cost at a restaurant... and you don't get free refills even on the water... it cost us for 2 glasses of water 3 EUROS... which is about $4.50 USD
* Waiters, and Waitress don't expect a tip here you can tip them but it is not like in the US
* Oh in case you are wondering GAS is 1,50EUR a LITER, so before you get excited look to see how many liters make a gallon. That will be the price of gas for you!
* At the food stores you bring your plastic bottles back and can recycle them and they actually give you money back for them
*Shopping is a little harder here cause it is hard to tell what something is when it is written in German so sometimes you are just figuring it out
* German beds are low on the ground and a different size then our beds. Most of their beds are just platform with a thin mattress.

Well, that is all I can think about right now, tomorrow we are going to go to the city of Wurzburg. We are going to take the train and maybe go check our this place that to me is like a castle. So stay turn for that account and pictures!!!

0 comments: